Tuesday, May 24, 2011

The Time I Put My Foot In My Mouth. Boy Scouts.



Oh my God. How did I forget to post this story about when I totally put my foot in my mouth?... Then shamelessly tried to back pedal my way out of it. Like lamest backpedal ever.

This was a few years ago and I was coming back from a night out with my friend “The Child” and The Child’s college buddy. I met the college buddy maybe 3 times over the years but didn’t really know him well at all. (And to set the picture the buddy was kind of a serious guy.)

We’re driving in the car and a radio commercial for the Boy Scouts comes on. Then this happens:

Me: (in loud, blow hard, sarcastic voice) The Boy Scouts? Phhhhttttt! What about those dudes that are Boy Scouts into high school? Like an Eagle Scout? "Look, I earned my 'Doesn’t want to get laid badge.' Look at meeeee..” You’ve got to be kidding me.

College Friend: (from the back seat) Actually both of my son’s are in high school and really involved in Scouting. I’ve even been a troop leader. We’ve gone on some great camping trips and it’s been a really great experience.

**** SOUND OF SCREECHING BRAKES IN MY HEAD…TOTALLY EMBARRASSED, THE WORST BACKPEDALING BEGINS*****

Me: Really? (acting is if his three sentence statement somehow changed my entire perspective on what I think about being a Boy Scout in high school. Like it was the closing statement in the Scopes Monkey Trial and I finally saw the light) …I didn’t know THAT. Hmmm..I guess scouting can be kind of cool.

Silence from the backseat. Then The Child changes the subject. I look in mirror and see this:

4 comments:

sybil law said...

Hahahahaha

I did that, once. Well, probably more than once, but whatever. Anyway, some friend of mine was teasing me about my near midget phobia, and my other friend told me a few days later that her brother is a dwarf, or little person, or whatever, and that the term "midget" bothers him. I kind of felt bad, but whatever.
I really hope I never meet him, though.

Dr Zibbs said...

Sybil - Haha

Tard R. Sauce said...

Tell 'em about the time you put my DICK in your mouth...

rental mobil elf said...

Nice article, thanks for the information.